Access to timely, complete, scientifically credible, distilled information is critical to efficacy in environmental and human development organizations. Yet non-profits in this sector are typically challenged by limited IT budgets and/or remote deployment settings. A well-developed information systems strategy is therefore paramount. At PlanetWare.net, we help our clients understand their specific information systems needs as well as the selection and implementation of cost-effective IT solutions. We are here to bring the power of information technology to help you execute your critical mission.The principal at PlanetWare.net is Kristin Barker, PMP. View her resume here or download it in PDF format.Services
- Information systems and software product strategy with a specific focus on solutions for the environmental and human development domain
- Requirements analysis
- New product development and evolution strategy
- Professional project management (PMI Certified), including agile methodologies, PMI-ACP
- Systems architecture
Notable Public Products
- Web site development including UX and information architecture
- Web Services via SOAP and REST
- Geographic Information Systems (especially ESRI's ArcObjects)
- Platforms: WordPress. .NET
- Pew Environment Group; Pew Center on the States - primary project manager for the development of these two public websites for the Pew Charitable Trusts
- An Information Systems Strategy for the Environmental Conservation Community (pdf)
Presents a strategy for conservation organizations to systematically assess local environmental conditions, set informed priorities for protection at various scales, measure the performance of their conservation projects and improve practices through adaptive management (report developed as a master's project at Duke University's Nicholas School for the Environment).
- NatureServe's Kestrel
A web-based tool to capture and manage field-based observation data. This application allows ecological surveys to be customized to users’ situational requirements and yet produces standards-compliant results to facilitate aggregation. Survey-specific extensions are managed in a central schema component library and made available for usage and enhancement by other observation data users via open source-style arrangements. A companion client web form, formatted for hand-held devices, supports data entry in the field. The NatureServe network of 85 member programs and the National Science Foundation provided funding for this project along with Parks Canada which has standardized on its use throughout their park network.
- NatureServe Vista
A spatially-explicit decision support and conservation planning system implemented in a desktop GIS. As an extension to ESRI’s ArcView, Vista integrates relevant, location-specific conservation information from a wide variety of data sources into the land-use planning process. The system supports users in identifying areas of high biodiversity and evaluating land use-scenarios for their impact on biodiversity conservation goals.
- Intuit's Quickbooks
Award winning PC-based small business accounting software.
If you are interested in learning more, contact us at this email address: kristin (at) planetware.netThis site is under construction.